Oct 16, 2015

Fall foliage fever (Oct. 14 / Ricketts Glen State Park)

A couple enjoys sitting in front of Ganoga Falls in Ricketts Glen State Park.
As I climbed up a muddy ridge toward the top of Ricketts Glen State Park, I looked over at one of the 22 named waterfalls and thought: "Why are people so fascinated by running water?"

I know there's a difference between water dropping over a 94-foot ridge and it dripping from a kitchen faucet, but at the end of the day, that's all it is -- moving water.

Nevertheless, I visited Ricketts Glen for the sake of taking pictures because I also love waterfalls.

I wasn't alone: Nearly two dozen other people came to the park with cameras and tripods to photograph both the falls and the changing leaves that day. Certain spots looked like a press conference. One hiker who wasn't taking photos saw my camera and asked me if there was a special filming event going on at the park.

A group of photographers takes pictures of a nearby waterfall in Ricketts Glen State Park.
All of the photographers were likely there for the same reason as I was: fall foliage. During the past week, I've been traveling to different areas looking for the best color as the leaves start to change over. I visited Nescopeck State Park, in addition to the Delaware Water Gap, but had little luck.

I've visited Ricketts Glen several times before, and each time is more beautiful than the last. I figured it would be the place where I'd get my break.

As I had expected, Ricketts Glen delivered. I went to the park with an empty camera card and left with almost 350 pictures, which took two days to narrow down and tone. Below are some of the better ones I took.

Creeks








Waterfalls


Adams Falls (30 feet)
Cayuga Falls (11 feet)
Erie Falls (47 feet)
Ganoga Falls (94 feet)
Ganoga Falls (overhead)
Harrison Wright Falls (27 feet)
Mohican Falls (39 feet)
Oneida Falls (13 feet)
Sheldon Reynolds Falls (36 feet)
Tuscarora Falls (47 feet)

No comments:

Post a Comment